December 12 – 13, 2023
Euro NCAP UpDate 2023
William Haddon published his "Phase-Factor Matrix" in 1970 (now known as „the Haddon Matrix“), describing which parameters are relevant to the occurrence of injuries and the outcome of crash events in the three phases before, during and after the event.
In order to define and evaluate effective measures to achieve Vision Zero, in 2026 Euro NCAP will change it's rating scheme from the 4 boxes - Adult Occupant Protection, Child Occupant Protection, Safety Assist and Protection of Vulnerable Road Users - to the phases derived from the Haddon Matrix:
Safe Driving | Crash Avoidance | Crash Protection | Post-Crash Safety
In addition, the Euro NCAP Vision 2030 includes more than just the new rating scheme:
- Assisted and automated driver assistance systems will be further tested and evaluated to gain more functionality and robustness. Driver and occupant monitoring systems are key technologies to enable these assistance functions
- Diversity will receive more attention in passive safety testing.
- After an unavoidable crash, rescue information should support the safe and quick extrication of the occupants.
- A seperate safety assessment for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV) will be introduced.
At Euro NCAP UpDate, experts report directly from the Board of Directors and the working groups of Euro NCAP.
Previous attendees of the Euro NCAP UpDate particularly appreciated:
- detailed and up-to-date information on the plans of Euro NCAP
- room for questions and discussion
- first-hand knowledge