April 5–6, 2017 | Congress Park Hanau, Germany
automotive CAE Grand Challenge 2017
In the last 20 years computer simulation has become an indispensable tool in automotive development. Tremendous progress in software and computer technology makes it possible today to assess product and process performance before physical prototypes have been built. Applications of computer simulation cover nearly all aspects of product and process design.
Challenges in virtual vehicle development
Despite of significant progress in simulation technology and impressive results in industrial application there remains a number of challenges which prevent a “100% digital prototyping”.
Grand Challenge as a platform for dialog
The automotive CAE Grand Challenge stimulates the exchange between users, scientists and software developers in order to solve these challenges. Annually the current challenges in automotive CAE are being identified through a survey among simulation experts of the automotive industry. In the conference one session is dedicated to each of the most critical challenges, the “Grand Challenges”. In each session CAE experts from industry, research and software development will explain the importance of the individual Challenge for the virtual development process and talk about their efforts to solve the challenge.
Grand Challenges 2017
In September we have determined the important current challenges of automotive CAE - the so-called “Grand Challenges” - through a survey among the CAE experts of the international automotive industry. The below listed "Grand Challenges" form the topics of the sessions of our automotive CAE Grand Challenge 2017 conference.
- Crash: Material and failure models of plastics
- Fatigue: Virtual proofing ground, determination of load collectives
- NVH: Squeak and rattle, groaning
- Multi simulation: Multi trade simulation, influence of manufacturing on material and product
- Optimization: Topology optimization
- Safety: Stability of dummy models, including scatter of hardware dummies
- Strength: Failure models for adhesives
In the sessions CAE experts from industry, research and software development will explain the importance of the individual Grand Challenge for the virtual car development process and report on their work to overcome the challenge.
Call for presentations
If you want to contribute a presentation on one of the above Grand Challenges from the view of an industrial user, researcher or software developer at the automotive CAE Grand Challenge 2017 please contact Dr. Dirk Ulrich (Phone +49 6023 9640 66 or email@example.com) to see if the proposed presentation fits in the program and to discuss the next steps. More information on the presentations you find under Call for Presentations. Speakers participate in the conference free of charge!
The first automotive CAE Grand Challenge has been held in 2009. Since then we have successfully conducted 7 conferences. The concept of the conference and the questionnaires of the first yearly surveys for the identification of the challenges of automotive CAE have been developed by carhs.training. To further improve the concept of the conference and to ensure the up-to-dateness and industrial relevance of the topics of the yearly survey we have introduced a program committee in 2013. The program committee is made up of renowned CAE experts from OEMs, suppliers, engineering consultants, education and research thus representing all stake holders of automotive CAE.
We are honored to introduce the members of the program committee:
- Achim Fellhauer – TRW Automotive Safety Systems GmbH
- Dr. Axel Hänschke – Ford-Werke GmbH
- Prof. Dr. Lothar Harzheim – Adam Opel AG
- Udo Jankowski – TECOSIM GmbH
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dietmar Jennewein - Hochschule Darmstadt
- Dr. Andreas Rieser – Kompetenzzentrum - Das virtuelle Fahrzeug Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
- Dr. Robert Schilling – Ford-Werke GmbH
- Prof. Dr. Axel Schumacher – Bergische Universität Wuppertal
- Christian Stender – Volkswagen AG
- Alexander-Frederic Walser – ASC-S e.V.